Warren B. Mori, Ph.D.
Director, Institute for Digital Research and Education, UCLA, 2006-present
Professor of Physics and Astronomy, and of Electrical Engineering, UCLA, 1999-present
Adjunct Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Physics, UCLA, 1993-1999
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Physics and Assistant Research Physicist/Engineer, UCLA , 1989-1993
B.S., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley, June 1981
M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, June 1984
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, March 1987
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Physics 122, 1999-2000
- Fellow of the American Physical Society
- Fellow of IEEE
- International Center for Theoretical Physics Medal for Excellence in Nonlinear Plasma Physics by a Young Researcher, 1995
- Visiting Fellow of Imperial College in London, England, 3/87-5/87
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award for School of Engineering and Applied Science, UCLA, 1987
- Tau Beta Pi
- Eta Kappa Nu
- Referee, Physical Review
- Referee, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science
- Referee, Physics of Fluids
- Referee, Optics Physics Letters
- Referee, Journal of Computational Physics
- Guest Editor, IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science Special Issue on the Generation of Tunable Radiation Using Plasmas (February 1993)
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering
MOST CITED PUBLICATIONS [H-Index: 46, ISI Web of Knowledge]
1. Mangles, S.P.D., Murphy, C.D., Najmudin, Z., Thomas, A.G.R., Collier, J.L., Dangor, A.E., Divall., E.J., Foster, P.S., Gallacher, J.G., Hooker, C.J., Jaroszynski, D.A., Langley, A.J., Mori, W.B., Norreys, P.A., Tsung, F.S., Viskup, R. Walton., B.R., Krushelnick, K., “Monoenergetic beams of relativistic electrons from intense laser-plasma interactions,” Nature, vol. 431, pp. 535-8 (2004).
2. Mori, W.B., Decker, C.D., Hinkel, D.E., and Katsouleas, T., "Raman Forward Scattering of Short-Pulse High-Intensity Lasers," Physical Review Letters, vol. 72, No. 10, pp. 1482-1485 (7 March 1994).
3. Wilks, S.C., Dawson, J.M., Mori, W.B., Jones, M.E., and Katsouleas, T., "Photon Accelerator," Physical Review Letters, vol. 62, no. 22, pp. 2600-2603 (29 May 1989).
4. Joshi, C., Mori, W.B., Katsouleas, T., Dawson, J.M., Kindel, J.M., and Forslund, D.W., "Ultra-High Gradient Particle Acceleration by Intense Laser-Driven Plasma Density Waves," Nature, vol. 311, pp. 525-529 (11 October 1984).
5. Gordon, D., Tzeng, K-C., Clayton, C.E., Dango r, A.E., Malka, V., Marsh, K.A., Modena, A., Mori, W.B., Muggli, P., Najmudin, Z., and Joshi, C., “Observation of Electron Energies beyond the Linear Dephasing Limit from a Laser-Excited Relativistic Plasma Wave,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 2133-2136 (9 March 1998).
6. Silva, L.O., Fonseca, R.A., Tonge, J.W., Dawson, J.M., Mori, W.B., and Medvedev, M., “Interpenetrating Plasma Shells: Near-Equipartition Magnetic Generation and Non-thermal Particle Acceleration,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 596, p. L121 (2003).
7. Coverdale, C.A., Darrow, C.B., Decker, C.D., Mori, W.B., Tzeng, K-C., Marsh, K. A., Clayton, C.E., and Joshi, C., "Propagation of Intense Subpicosecond Laser Pulses through Underdense Plasmas," Physical Review Letters, vol. 74, no. 23, pp. 4659-4662 (5 June 1995).
8. Silva, Luis O., Marti, Michael, Davies, Jonathan R., Fonseca, Ricardo A., Ren, Chuang, Tsung, Frank S., and Mori, Warren B., “Proton Shock Acceleration in Laser-Plasma Interactions,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 015002/1-4 (January 2004).
9. Mori, W.B., Joshi, C., Dawson, J.M., Forslund, D.W, and Kindel, J.M., “Evolution of Self-Focusing of Intense Electromagnetic Waves in Plasma,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 60, no. 13, pp. 1298-1301 (28 March 1988).
10. Forslund, D.W., Kindel, J.M., Mori, W.B., Joshi, C., and Dawson, J.M., "2-Dimensional Studies of Single Frequency and Beat Wave Laser-Plasma Heating," Physical Review Letters, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 558-561 (11 February 1985).
11. Decker, C.D., Mori, W.B., and Katsouleas, T. "Particle-in-Cell Simulations of Raman Forward Scattering from Short-Pulse High-Intensity Lasers," Physical Review E, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 3338-3341 (November 1994).
12. W.P. Leemans, C.E. Clayton, W.B. Mori, K.A. Marsh, P.K. Kaw, A. Dyson, and C. Joshi, “Experiments and Simulations of Tunnel-Ionized Gases,” Physical Review A, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 1091-1105. (15 July 1992).
13. Silva, L.O., Fonseca, A, Tonge, J.W., Mori, W.B., and Dawson, J.M., “On the Role of the Purely Transverse Weibel Instability in Fast Ignitor Scenarios,” Physics of Plasmas, vol. 9., no. 6, pp. 2458-2461 (June 2002).
14. Wilks, S.C., Dawson, J.M., and Mori, W.B., “Frequency Up-Conversion of Electromagnetic Radiation with Use of an Overdense Plasma,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 337-340 (18 July 1988).
15. Blumenfeld I., Clayton C.E., Decker F-J., Hogan M.J., Huang C., Ischebeck R., Iverson R., Joshi Chandrashekhar, Katsouleas T., Kirby N., Lu W., Marsh K.A., Mori W.B., Muggli P., Oz E., Siemann R.H., Walz D., Zhou M., “Energy doubling of 42 GeV electrons in a metre-scale plasma wakefield accelerator,” Nature, vol. 445, no. 7129, pp. 741-4 (15 February 2007).
16. Fonseca, R.A., Silva, L.O., Tsung, F.S., Decyk, V.K., Lu, W., Ren, C., Mori, W.B., Deng, S., Lee, S., Katsouleas, T., Adam, J.C., “OSIRIS: A Three-Dimensional, Fully Relativistic Particle in Cell Code for Modeling Plasma Based Accelerators,” Computational Science - ICCS 2002 Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 2331/2002, pp. 342-351 (2002).
17. Mori, W.B., "Generation of Tunable Radiation Using an Underdense Ionization Front," Physical Review A, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 5118-5121 (15 October 1991).
18. Katsouleas, T. and Mori, W.B., “Wave-Breaking Amplitude of Relativistic Oscillations in a Thermal Plasma,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 90-93 (4 July 1988).
19. Tsung, F.S., Narang, R., Mori, W.B., Joshi, C., Fonseca, A, and Silva, L.O., “Near-GeV-Energy Laser-Wakefield Acceleration of Self-Injected Electrons in a Centimeter-Scale Plasma Channel,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 93, no. 18, pp. 185002/1-4 (29 October 2004).
20. Darrow, C.B., Coverdale, C., Perry, M.D., Mori, W.B., Clayton, C., Marsh, K, and Joshi, C., "Strongly Coupled Stimulated Raman Backscatter from Subpicosecond Laser-Plasma Interactions," Physical Review Letters, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 442-445 (20 July 1992).
21. Lu W., Tzoufras M., Joshi C., Tsung F.S., Mori W.B., Vieira J., Fonseca R.A., Silva L.O., "Generating Multi-GeV Electron Bunches Using Single Stage Laser Wakefield Acceleration in a 3D Nonlinear Regime," Physical Review Special Topics - Accelerators and Beams, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 061301/1-12 (June 2007).
22. Savage Jr., R.L., Joshi, C., and Mori, W.B., "Frequency Up-conversion of Electromagnetic-Radiation upon Transmission into an Ionization Front," Physical Review Letters, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 946-949 (17 February 1992).
23. Lu W., Huang C., Zhou M., Mori W.B., and Katsouleas T., “Nonlinear theory for relativistic plasma wakefields in the blowout regime,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 96, no. 16, pp. 165002/1-4 (28 April 2006).
24. Hogan M.J., Barnes C.D., Clayton C.E., Decker F.-J., Deng S., Emma P., Huang C., Iverson R.H., Johnson D.K., Joshi C., Katsouleas T., Krejcik P., Lu W., Marsh K.A., Mori W.B., Muggli P., O'Connell C.L., Oz E., Siemann R.H., Walz D., “Multi-GeV Energy Gain in a Plasma-Wakefield Accelerator,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 054802/1-4 (29 July 2005). [Cover story]
25. Decker, C.D., Mori, W. B., Tzeng, K-C., and Katsouleas, T., "Evolution of Ultra-Intense, Short-Pulse Lasers in Underdense Plasmas," Physics of Plasmas, vol. 3, no. 5, Part 2, pp. 2047-2056 (May 1996).
26. Mori, W.B., “The Physics of the Nonlinear Optics of Plasmas at Relativistic Intensities for Short-Pulse Lasers,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1942-1953 (November 1997).
OTHER PUBLICATIONS OF NOTE
1. Decker, C.D., Mori, W.B., Dawson, J.M., and Katsouleas, T., "Nonlinear Collisional Absorption in Laser-Driven Plasmas," Physics of Plasmas, vol. 1, no. 12, pp. 4043-4049 (December 1994).
2. Decker, C.D. and Mori, W.B., "Group-Velocity of Large-Amplitude Electromagnetic-Waves in a Plasma," Physical Review Letters, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 490-493 (24 January 1994).
3. Huang C., Decyk V.K., Ren C., Zhou M.M., Lu W., Mori W.B., Cooley J.H., Antonsen Jr., T.M., and Katsouleas T., “QUICKPIC: A highly efficient particle-in-cell code for modeling wakefield acceleration in plasmas,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 217, no. 2, pp. 658-679 (20 September 2006).
4. Tzoufras M., Ren C., Tsung F.S., Tonge J., Mori W.B., Fiore M., Fonseca R.A., and Silva L.O., “Space-charge effects in the current-filamentation or Weibel instability,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 105002/1-4 (17 March 2006).
5. Ren, C., Hemker, R.G., Fonseca, R.A., Duda, B.J., and Mori, W.B., "Mutual Attraction of Laser Beams in Plasmas: Braided Light," Physical Review Letters, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 2124-2127 (4 September 2000).
6. Duda, B.J. and Mori, W.B., "Variational Principle Approach to Short-Pulse Laser-Plasma Interactions in Three Dimensions," Physical Review E, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 1925-1939 (February 2000).
7. Tzoufras M., Lu W., Tsung F.S., Huang C., Mori W.B., Katsouleas T., Vieira J., Fonseca R.A., Silva L.O. "Beam loading in the nonlinear regime of plasma-based acceleration,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 101, no. 14, pp. 145002/1-4 (3 October 2008).
8. Oz E., Deng S., Katsouleas T, Muggli P., Barnes C.D., Blumenfeld I., Decker F.-J., Emma P., Hogan M.J., Ishchebeck R., Iverson R.H., Kirby N., Krejcik P., O’Connell C., Siemann R.h., Walz D., Auerbach D., Clayton D.E., Huang C., Johnson D.K., Joshi C., Lu W., Marsh K.A., Mori W.B., Zhou M., “Ionization-induced electron trapping in ultrarelativistic plasma wakes,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 98, no. 8, pp. 084801/1-4 (23 February 2007).
9. Martins S.F., Fonseca R.A., Silva L.O., Mori W.B., “Ion dynamics and Acceleration in relativistic shocks,” Astrophysical Journal Letters, vol. 695, no. 2, pp. L189-L193 20 (April 2009).